Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rigging Begins

Until now I have created almost 3 versions of the werewolf leg. Every tutorial has a different technique and it doesn't seem to be a proper clean rig. I need a simple rig with advanced controls giving complete freedom to the animator to use the controls for animation. I don't want automated stuff like my previous rigs for the group project.

Everytime I have created the leg rig, I have learnt something new about rigging. It seems as if I am researching different techniques along with rigging my character. Most of the tutorials I found online for the quadruped (as my werewolf has digitigrade legs) are for horse and the leg structure of the horse is a bit different and this changes the approach for the rig.

While I was rigging, I discovered few things. I will consider them the golden rules as I am a newbie.
1. Always always always create your leg joints in LEFT view.
- What would happen if I don''t do that?

You get the wrong axis for the joints, you Y axis faces negative. This might create issue while rigging, the most important thing in rigging is the joint orientation.

2. In softimage, keep the Align Root to First Bone when Drawing ON
3. Your controls should be aligned to your joints.
4. Keep separate layer for joints and controls.
5. Never mess with the resolution plane and roll of the lower bone for the leg. It will restrict the knee from moving along with the IK and won't change even if you undo.

I will keep adding more as I discover.



No comments:

Post a Comment