Saturday, June 25, 2011

3 Bone leg chain solved

Finally, I have created my 3 bone leg chain. The task was challenging. I could get away by creating a normal 3 bone IK leg as the proportion of all the leg joints in model were correct. I wanted a solid full proof IK chain where the leg joints would deform properly on rotation. I and Dipti discussed a lot on it and she gave me a solution which was complicated for my beginner mind. The ankle joint gets scaled with help of the reference chain if the deformation of the joint is not correct. With the scaling the the thigh and the calf joint never merges on rotation. This is the example of what I am talking.


Here, I created a 2 bone IK just like a biped and then created one more IK for the ankle joint. I linked my setup with a proper 3 bone joint setup which has a correct joint structure indifferent of my character design. Now my IK leg joint setup (according to the legs of my character) follows the reference IK joint leg setup and the ankle joint of my setup scales to maintain the angle of joints.

While I was talking to J about the issue I am facing, Jon suggested me to use the reverse foot technique for the 3 joint chain. He talked with me and Dipti about his logic and we stated digging into it as we both are crazy to find different methods/solutions. Yesterday, after coming back from Buffalo's I decided to stay at uni and work on the leg chain. I hacked it!!

This is what I have come up with.



I will discuss on how I created this soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment